Untethered Jailbreak for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch on iOS 6.x
The long wait is over. Finally, an untethered jailbreak for all iOS devices running iOS 6.0 up to 6.1 has been released. That includes the recently released iPhone 5 and iPad mini. This was brought to you by a group of hackers called the Evaders who created this jailbreak tool called evasi0n. It is a simple one-click jailbreak that will only take 5 minutes of your time.
It has been a long while since a working public jailbreak was released. To those who were loyal to having a jailbroken device, that was still around over a year ago when an untethered jailbreak called Absinthe was released. That tool made it possible to jailbreak all devices running iOS 5.1.1 with the iPhone 4S as the newest product at that time.
If you are not familiar with jailbreaking, it allows you to run third party applications and tweaks on your iOS devices which are not possible if you are using the stock and locked Apple ecosystem. Here are some examples of some cool jailbreak tweaks I installed on my iPhone when it was still on iOS 5.1.1.
As of this writing, the Cydia server is reported to have been clogged up by the surge of newly jailbroken devices trying to access it. Give it some time. A few days maybe and everything will run back smoothly. As of now, here are some things you need to prepare in case you want to take advantage of this jailbreak.
- Make sure your current iOS 6 firmware was installed via iTunes and not via OTA (over the air update) on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. If you happened to update from your device, you need to restore it using iTunes.
- Download the evasi0n tool here. (You can donate to the devs who did all the hard work and made this possible)
- Though not necessary, it is best to be on the current firmware (6.1). You can manually download iOS firmwares from this site.
- Backup your device (either on iCloud or iTunes) before jailbreaking.
- If you just did a fresh restore, do the jailbreak first before re-syncing your huge library of Music, Videos and Apps. That will make the jailbreak much faster and smoother.
- Disable the passcode lock when jailbreaking. It can cause issues.
Other than that, all the other issues can be solved by a simple Google search. So, go ahead. Enjoy the jailbreak. I'm so excited to see all these new tweaks for iOS 6 now that the jailbreak has been publicly released.